Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Markings on the Wall

When I got home from work and sat down for dinner, I noticed a large scribbly looking "X" drawn on the wall with blue marker. Realizing Paula wasn't coordinated enough to draw an X, I turned to Scotty with the best stern look I could fake without laughing."Scotty, do you know how this got on the wall?"

He squirmed in his chair for a minute. Stuttering, he looked at the wall and studied my face as if he was trying to figure out how much I already knew. Finally he constructed an awkward answer, "Um...I...um, don't remember..." He quickly looked at his sister, "I think it was probably Paula."
I kept my eyebrows furrowed while still trying not to laugh. "Scotty, you're lying to me. It wasn't your sister, was it?"

He studied my face a little longer, then finally shook his head. "But, Dada, I forgot I'm not supposed to draw on the wall," he argued.
"Scotty," I grunted still trying to sound angry, "you didn't really forget, did you?"
His eyes darted back and forth between the purple maker on the table and the large X he drew on the wall. "Well...um, Dada, I accidentally thought the wall was my coloring book."

I pretended I was mad just long enough to get up and pick something out of the fridge where I was safely able to quietly chuckle.The back and forth lying and half truth telling went on for another 10 minutes or so. None of the "consequences" I brought up seemed to faze him until I had an idea.
"Scotty, I'm taking away your markers for the rest of the week.

When you go stay with Papa Cuno for the week (starting Saturday), he might not let you bring your markers either. I'm have to call Papa Cuno and tell him what you did and see if he'll let you color at his house."
I had his rapt attention. Slightly teary eyed Scotty choked up, "not papa Cuno.."
It was kinda sweet, a little sad, but it worked. Papa Cuno graciously told me Scotty could bring his markers as long as he behaved. Scotty was relieved and very well behaved the rest of the night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

-Dad

Location:Home

No comments:

Post a Comment